IDRIJA UNESCO GLOBAL GEOPARK
The mining also contributed to the town’s social prosperity with all the necessary educational and cultural institutions which offered the locals the possibility of education and cultural activities. However, the way of building and the way of life was shaped by the environment. Preserved are mainly the buildings that were used for these activities in the period of intensive mining.
This building housing the Secondary School of Natural Sciences in Idrija was built with funds from the municipal budget in 1903 in Classicist style. Today, it is the location of the Idrija Secondary School and is named after Jurij Vega, the famous Slovenian mathematician. In 2008, it was extensively renovated.
This monumental building of the former primary school was built in 1876. Today, the building continues to be the pride of the town and houses various cultural institutions such as the well-known Idrija Lace School and the International Centre of Idrija Lace.
The famous natural scientist, Joannes Antonius Scopoli, the first mine physician in Idrija (1754–1769), worked in this building. A memorial plate on the building is dedicated to the memory of his work and his correspondence with the reputed Swedish scientist and princeps botanicorum mundi, Carl von Linne.
This solitary homestead of a wealthy farmer used to consist of eight buildings. Today, a large residential house, stone granary, barn, and hayrack are preserved. The house has a remarkably preserved interior and wall paintings – frescos – dating back to 1802.
A large, single-storey house with a steep gable roof and square ground floor. Traces of wall paintings on the south and west façades. A preserved interior with a traditionally-designed arched basement, vestibule, and a smoke kitchen. On the north façade, there is a painted niche with a wooden sculpture. Arranged in the barn alongside the old house is an interesting collection of around 300 small and large antique objects of important ethnological value.
A multi-storey granary with a basement, a steep gable and thatched roof. Its stone square portal dates back to 1687. The exterior of the house with its frescos is renovated, the interior features a smoke kitchen, pottery stove in the bedroom and some traditional equipment.
This church is built on the spot where, according to the legend, a tub maker discovered mercury in 1490. The original wooden church, built in 1500, was later rebuilt in stone. The presbytery is decorated with colourful stained-glass windows and noticeable symbols such as ore, chisel, and carbide lamp.
Standing on a steep slope overlooking the town is the church of St Anthony dating back to 1678. In 1766, the Stations of the Cross were built at the Calvary Hill, a rising slope west of the church.
The crypt is the only preserved part of the baroque church of St Barbara which was damaged during World War II and afterwards demolished. The renovated crypt now features a gallery and a memorial chapel.
The parish church St Urban (pope and martyr) is located in the centre of the village and was first mentioned in 1526. Today’s church was built in 1656 and has three altars. In 1685, the church was expanded and extensively renovated. Throughout history, it was damaged multiple times and gained its current form in 1756. During World War II, only the belfry was damaged and was later rebuilt in a slightly smaller and plainer form.
The baroque church of St Urlich surrounded by a wall is located on a hill south-east of Zavratec and bears the year of 1647; however, it was first mentioned in the land registry of the Škofja Loka Lordship in 1501. It consists of a three-part presbytery, a wide rectangular nave and a belfry on the west. The nave and presbytery are decorated with baroque frescos dating back to 1713. The church is also connected to four chapels nearby that are over200 years old.
The historical records describing the church of St Mary Magdalen (which was first a chapel and later expanded several times) date back to the 6th century. The village and the church are also mentioned in records about the Turkish invasions and in the late Middle Ages, this location supposedly served as cemetery for the local region. The church as we know it today dates back to 1823 and was made a parish church in 1867.