Originally a miners’ settlement dating from the 15th century, Idrija developed into a town in the 17th and 18th centuries. The narrow town core has a typical small-town bourgeois architecture (administrative and residential buildings). The town has typical miner’s houses and miner’s residential buildings known as prhauzi.
Magazin – A large, single-storey building that was later used as a silo was built in Baroque style in Idrija’s old town centre in 1764. The silo was used to store wheat and other foodstuffs used to pay the miners. Plaques dedicated to important personalities (Jožef Mrak, Marko Vincenc Lipold, Balthasar Hacquet, Franc Anton Steinberg, Ivanka Ferjančič, and Henrik Freyer) in Idrija’s history were put up on the facade of the warehouse).
Built in 1769, the theatre is the oldest theatre building made of stone in Slovenia. The building testifies to the rich and diverse cultural heritage of Idrija, which includes theatre production. The theatre was renovated on a number of occasions, but has retained its look to a present day.