Architectural heritage

Secondary school of natural sciences

Status: Monument of local importance

The building housing the Secondary School of Natural Sciences in Idrija was built with municipality funds in 1903 in Classicist style. Today is the place of Idrijan secondary school (gymnasium) and is named after Jurij Vega, famous Slovenian mathematician. It was completely renewed in 2008.

Popular school

Status: Cultural heritage

The monumental building of the popular school was built in 1876. Today, the building continues to be the pride of the town, offering shelter to various cultural institutions, the reputed Lace School, and the International Centre of Idrija Lace.

»Švica« - Scopoli's house

Status: Monument of local importance

The famous natural scientist, Joannes Antonius Scopoli, the first mine physician in Idrija (1754-1769), worked in this building. A memorial plate on the building is dedicated to the memory of his work and his correspondence with the reputed Swedish scientist and princeps botanicorum mundi, Carl von Linne.

Idrija miner's house

Status: Monument of national importance

The house was built at the end of the 18th century and was subsequently refurbished in the 19th century. The building has a high gable, three floors, a basement and a mansard. It is made mostly of wood, with the exception of the stone ground floor. The building is positioned among vegetable gardens. It tells the story of miners' lives in Idrija.

Forestry school

Status: Monument of local importance

A large, several-storey building with a portal bearing the year 1856. It is one of four forestry schools established in the period of the Austrian-Hungarian Monarchy. The school operated from 1892-1909.

Kenda mansion

Status: Monument of local importance

The origins of the Kenda Mansion reach back to the year 1377, when the first landowners managed the farm above the Idrijca River valley. Today this magnificent building has been restored and revived in the spirit of old times, and has been transformed into a hotel. In the vicinity of the mansion is a painted stone granary (author: F. Kobal) and a toplar (double) hayrack.

Šturmajce, Kanomlja

Status: Monument of local importance

A solitary homestead of a well-to-do farmer used to be comprised of eight buildings. Today there are preserved a large residental house, stone granary, barn and hayrack. A house with a remarkably preserved interior and wall paintings dating from 1802.

Škratovše homestead, Vojsko

Status: Monument of local importance

A large, solitary homestead dating from the 19th century, with the years 1859 and 1874 inscribed on its stone portals. A house with a well-preserved interior,two storeys in the gable and a typical steep roof that was originally covered with shingles. Alongside the house is a spacious arched barn with arches on two rows of stone pillars.

Homestead Gorenji Vrsnik 21

Status: Monument of local importance

A homestead of the building type typically used by well-to-do farmers of the Škofja Loka-Cerkno regions, dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. It comprises a monumental, storeyed barn, a double hayrack, large water tank, and a house with an impressively preserved interior.

House at Ledine 20 (Pr' Jureč) and museum collection of farm tools and equipment

Status: Monument of local importance

A large, single-storeyed house with a steep gable roof and a square ground floor. Traces of wall paintings on the south and west facades. A preserved interior with a traditionally designed arched basement, vestibule, and a black kitchen. On the north facade is a painted niche with wooden plastic. Arranged on the barn alongside the old house is a precious collection of around 300 small and large antique objects of high ethnological value.

Granary at the Pri Možinatu homestead, Zavratec

Status: Monument of national importance

A homestead of the building type typically used by well-to-do farmers of the Škofja Loka-Cerkno regions, dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. It comprises a monumental, storeyed barn, a double hayrack, large water tank, and a house with an impressively preserved interior.

Pečniški malni mills at the Peklenska grapa gorge

Status:/

A steep path leads downward from Pečnik to several abandoned mills, the partly demolished »Pečniški malni« in the Peklenska grapa gorge, which were first mentioned in the Loka land register in 1318. Several buildings have been restored.

Weather

TUE
WED
THU

6 / 20 °C

4 / 19 °C

4 / 25 °C

Newsletter

Do you want to be informed about news and events?

Geopark Idrija is social

Follow us with #geoparkidrija